Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Weddings and Mystery religions

While I'm not in school I've been getting as much wedding stuff done as I could. Thanks to my maid of honor all of my invitations are done and ready to mail out. Yay! You can follow her on Twitter here.

I've still been working on my novel and I have 80/1400 colonists completed. It can be rather boring but I still think it is important to have a solid foundation to work from. If I don't do now I'll just have to do it later anyway.

I am thinking of others for my novel besides the actual characters themselves. I have decided to have religion/faith in my novel and so I am going to add a mystery cult. Not real sure how much of my population will be affected by it though. I got the idea after reading The Golden Ass by Apuleius and translated by P.G. Walsh this past semester in my Roman Empire class. I'm also going to throw in some mixture of Christianity as well but I don't know how yet.

Finding information on mystery cults is a bit difficult. When I went to Books-A-Million today I had no titles to go by and their ancient history and mythology selection is very thin. After posting on AbsoluteWrite about it. I found that there isn't a lot of information out there. But I did get some great suggestions and I'm going to cruise the bookstores tomorrow for the following titles:

The Mysteries of Mithras: The Pagan Belief That Shaped the Christian World
by Payam Nabarz and Caitlin Matthews

The Book of Gods & Goddesses: A Visual Directory of Ancient and Modern Deities by Eric Chaline

Ancient Mystery Cults (Carl Newell Jackson Lectures) by Walter Burkert

The Atlas of Lost Cults and Mystery Religions: Rediscover Extraordinary Traditions from the Dawn of Time by David Douglas

Thanks MaLanie1971. You can visit her blog here. I'll have a link to her blog over in the sidebar. After a suggestion given to me by Medievalist I was able to find a site about the Villa of the Mysteries to help with forming my own mystery religion. Thanks Medievalist. You can find her blog here. I will also have a link to her blog in the sidebar.

I'll let you know the results of my book search and post anymore interesting sites I might find on the web about mystery cults tomorrow. Now I have to read The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane for my short novels class starting the 11th.

3 comments:

Dawn Wilson said...

I hope you're able to get more wedding stuff done in time. :) Also, you might want to check out the book The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion by Sir James George Frazer. I have seen it cited in MANY mystical books and it's a very well-respected study of ancient rites and beliefs. It might be helpful. At least, I hope so.

There's also another "Golden" book by Robert-something-or-other, but can't remember it.

And thank you for the blog comment. I appreciate it. :) I will respond in morrow with update. Going sleepy now.

Good luck!

Flower said...

First, let me say congratulations on your upcoming wedding! When is the big date? Second, thank you for joining my blog. I love meeting new people!

rosemerry said...

MaLanie: I'm getting married September 20th 10 days before I turn 30. Yeah, I enjoy meeting new people and now that I have something solid to blog about. I think this my 5th or 6th attempt at blogging. The other blogs failed as I lost interest in them. I like to read how other writers are working and such.

Dawn: I saw that book in the thread on AW and forgot to write it down. I will definitely keep it in mind next time I go book shopping. Thanks for the suggestion.