Friday, May 8, 2009

Update on the book search

Before I give results on the book search I just want to say, woohoo! I just reached the 100/1400 mark in my character creation. Now I can switch surnames. I was using American surnames so I think I'm going to use Belgian surnames for the next 100 characters. This way I get a nice mix.

I ended up going to Borders and Barnes and Noble for my book search. Books-A-Million while closer does not have a good selection and when the customer service rep did a search did not seem to have any books in this category in stock. I was able to find The Mysteries of Mithras: The Pagan Belief that Shaped the Christian World by Payam Nabarz Forward by Caitlin Matthews and The Book of gods & goddesses: A Visual Directory of Ancient & Modern Deities by Eric Chaline.

It looks as though the Mithras book is more about neo-paganism rather than a historical account of Mithras worship I could still find it useful as something to extrapolate, I think that's the word, off of. I'll let you know when I finish the book. I guess that would mean a book review. We'll see how well I do with that.

The gods & goddesses book is a basic list book seperated by religion/region and just says what the major gods are of that religion/region. It's basic, simple, and a good jumping off point. I don't think I'll have any of my characters worship any of these gods or goddesses but it's good see characteristics given to them and what the represented and controlled, good things to know when creating your own gods.

I'm also working on a calander system. My fiance said I should base it on the planet they going to colonize that way when they reach it they will already be used to it. It's a good idea and I'll do it that way but I think I'm going to put off world building that until all my characters are completed.

2 comments:

colbymarshall said...

research is always fun...I love learning about stuff so I can write it better,. Hope you're enjoying it!

rosemerry said...

oh yeah it has given a lot of good ideas. I'm hoping the new class I'm taking will help out a lot too.