Tuesday, May 19, 2009

From the bookshelf - off world colonies

I thought I'd put up a list of novels from my bookshelf that have off Earth colonies. I haven't read for enjoyment for awhile. Being a history major is a lot of reading and writing and leaves little time for reading for fun. After looking and trying to remember what each book is about I found four books that deal with off Earth colonies. I haven't had a chance to read everything I own and while I have a lot of science fiction I didn't realize how few dealt with off world colonies.

Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card- While Ender's Game doesn't really deal with off world colonies it does open the door to the rest of the series which does deal with off world colonies or rather one off world colony in particular, the planet Lusitania. These three books are set far in the future after Ender's Game and could be read without having reading Ender's Game. They are, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind. Although it is recommended that you read
all four books.

The next set is the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars. It follows the first 100 colonists to Mars. It has politics, economics, science, culture, and religion. A must read for all people who love Mars.

My first adult novel about an off Earth Colony was Lear's Daughters by M. Bradley Kellog with William Rossow. My dad bought it for me at the public library for a quarter. It deals with humans studying an alien culture so a lot of soft sciences in this one. Sociology, anthropology, the study of the culture and religion. It is one of my favorites although I need to buy a new copy because mine is falling apart. I received it already used when I was in high school which was over ten years ago.

The next four books take place on Mars. I have a little bit of a crush on Mars and try and get any story set on Mars to see how other writers portray the planet. Mars Underground by William K. Hartmann is about looking for life on Mars and answering the question, did life begin on Mars? The next book isn't really a novel but a collection of short stories from the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction edited by Gordon Van Gelder. It is called Fourth Planet from the Sun. One story in particular jumped out at me it's titled "The Wilderness" by Ray Bradbury although the whole book is just smashing. The third book is a classic also by Ray Bradbury The Martian Chronicles. This book is a classic SF piece and should be read by all lovers of science fiction. The fourth book is by Greg Bear who is becoming a fast favorite of mine. If you like politics and revolution you'll like Moving Mars.

My last book on my shelf dealing with off world colonies is Saturn by Ben Bova. It's a colony ship story because they never actually go planet side but there are interesting things going on in the rings. This book is all about politics. A very fun read.

I have read all of these books numerous times. They are always a fun read when you want to get away for a little while. So, readers have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? Do you know any other titles about off world colonies? I'm always looking for more titles about off world colonies to read. What have you read lately?

No comments: